Friday, December 23, 2011

How to Make A Votive Candle Runway For Santa!

Whether you live in a home with young children who are excitedly awaiting the arrival of Santa, or merely want to create a festive welcome for guests arriving during a party, here is a simple way to light the way!

Side note: Looking at these pictures I just have to smile! This is a tutorial I was asked to write last winter for HGTV.com, and I wasn't certain I'd actually be able to pull it off. I mean, we don't have snow every year in the NW. However, I gathered my supplies, took the "steps" photos and then set everything by the front door to wait for snow to capture the "beauty shoot." Perhaps I'd get lucky before the article deadline and snow would magically appear at my front door. Well what do you know, one night the weather report claimed snow might just arrive early the next morning. So I set my alarm for a crazy hour and amazingly snow was falling! I quickly moved out the glass cylinders, lit the candles and started capturing photos. This brief snowfall ended up being the only snow we saw all winter, talk about luck.

A few minutes later I heard screams of delight. The kids had awaken and wanted to get out and play in the snow asap...at a few minutes past six! I blew out the candles, bundled them up and off we went to make snowmen! What fun, I hope we are as lucky this year.

Materials Needed:

  • several glass cylinders or mason jars
  • rock salt
  • votives
  • length of garland
  • matches




Gather Supplies

Select glass cylinders or jars and gather votives and rock salt.

Fill Containers

Pour rock salt into each container, filling approximately 1/5 full.

Place Votives

Arrange votive in each container, pushing votive down into salt to secure in place.

Light Candles

Light candles, arrange along steps and enhance with a length of garland.

Wait for Santa to Arrive

Enjoy your handiwork, set out some milk and cookies and get ready for the man in the red suit to make an appearance.

To read this and other holiday decorating ideas visit HGTV.com

1 comment:

BEARKIS said...

Wonderful!!!Santa,s coming soon...I hope!Happy Christmas!!!